Thursday, April 22, 2010

The world out there

Did you ever wonder what you would do if you were oblivious to 'events'? There was a time, you know, that one did not live from minute to minute, crazed by the latest Washington DC debacle, or fearful of what might become of the world if, say, a volcano erupted. As I stood on the porch of my apartment last night looking at the same moon I will see each day at my home, I did think what a joy it is to 'not know.'
I suppose folks in Washington or California think of those of us in Cross Plains as akin to residents of Siberia. Far from what matters. But really, what matters? Aside from family and friends and their day-to-day lives, what really matters? 9-11 is the only thing that stands-out as a public event in several decades, and now Americans seem hell-bent on forgetting about that as well. (I think the politically correct term is we need a "reset" button. By the way, there was an article in the Moscow Times (a pro-West paper, by the way) about how Putin's visit to Chavez was very much a middle finger gesture to Washington. So much for the reset, and that was Pro-West paper's view....Sorry, I digressed.)
So, though many people think of me as truly an addict to politics and news, I think there is a therapy for such an addiction. Come to Siberia. There is an ancient lake here sorrounded by lands sacred to many cultures for centuries. When the Czar 'gave away' Alaska it was with a comment, "We have enough. More land is just more problems." And look what it has given us--Sarah P., and on that I'll let you make your own judgments. (She can, afterall see Russia from her house, right?)
It may be cold in Siberia, but it is a breath of fresh of air.
Das Vidania

1 comment:

KLP said...

Wow. What an amazing experience! Thank you for sharing your trip with us!

-Kaylan